Video game addict, 17, is found slumped dead on his computer by heartbroken parents after suffering a fatal stroke as he played through the night in Thailand
- Piyawat Harikun, 17, spent hours on the computer at home in northern Thailand
- Piyawat’s father Jaranwit, found his son slumped against a PC on Monday
- There was a pile of takeaway boxes on the desk and a bottle of soda at his feet
- Jaranwit warned parents not to let their children become addicted to gaming
A teenager in Thailand collapsed and died at his computer after having all-night gaming sessions during his school holidays.
Piyawat Harikun, 17, had broken up from classes towards the end of October – using the free time to stay in his room on multiplayer battle games on his PC.
His parents said he would stay up all-night then draw the curtains in the day to continue his fixation with gaming, spending hours on the computer at the home in Udon Thani, northern Thailand.
Piyawat Harikun (pictured), 17, was found dead in front of his computer on Monday by his heartbroken parents. Doctors fear Piyawut suffered a stroke caused by playing games for hours in his bedroom in Thailand
They would take food to his room and urged him to stop, but he refused to cut down on his obsession.
Piyawat’s father Jaranwit, went to the bedroom on Monday afternoon and found his son collapsed from the computer chair and was slumped against a PC tower on the floor.
There was a pile of takeaway boxes on the desk and a bottle of fizzy pop at his feet, while his headphones were resting on top of another computer tower.
Piyawat (pictured) had broken up from school at the end of October and was using the free time to play multiplayer battle games. His parents said he would stay up gaming into the early hours, draw the curtains, and play on into the day
Jaranwit, an air force officer, said he tried to revive his son but he was already dead.
He said: ‘I called his name and said ‘wake up, wake up’ but he did not respond. I could see he was dead.’
Medics who examined the body yesterday afternoon said the teenager died from a stroke, which they believe was caused by playing the computer constantly through the night.
His parents said they would take food into the room as the teenager played through his days. There was a pile of takeaway boxes on the desk (pictured) and a bottle of soda by his feet when his father discovered him
His father said that he wanted to warn parents of the dangers of gaming and gaming addiction. His body was taken to a nearby Buddhist temple where his father was arranging a funeral
Jaranwit admitted that his son was a gaming addict and warned other parents not to allow their children to become hooked on the games.
He said: ‘My son was smart and always did great at school but he had a major problem with gaming addiction.
‘I tried to warn him about his relentless long hours playing games and he promised to reduce it, but it was too late.
‘He had already died before he had a chance to change.
‘I want my son’s death to be an example and warning for parents whose children are game addicts. They need to be more strict on their children’s playing hours otherwise they could end up like my son.’
The boy’s body was taken from the hospital to a nearby Buddhist temple where his devastated father was waiting to arrange a funeral.